Practices on Social Media that will attract the "Green Traveler"
Step-by-step instructions to increase visibility an gain market and mindshare.
Targeting the Green Traveler On Social Media
Rural tourism in this example, we’ll focus on South-East Asia and soft adventure.
Most rural tourism operators are attempting to target ‘green’ travelers or those that see themselves as believing in sustainable tourism. Thus, it is not enough to randomly post images of pristine landscapes and thriving villages. No, the operator aiming to sell or establish direct via Facebook and Instagram has to have a concerted message. He or she needs a content strategy, needs to write fun and humorous captions, and needs to use hashtags so that the posts filter into the right feeds.
Content Strategy, Appealing Images, Smart Captions, and #Hashtags
To attract a younger demographic interested in sustainable tourism for rural tours in Asia, you'll need to create engaging content that appeals to their values and interests. Here's an outline of the process for creating effective posts for Facebook and Instagram:
- Identify your target audience: Focus on the younger demographic, likely between the ages of 18-35, who have an interest in sustainability, eco-tourism, and exploring rural areas in Asia. They may be environmentally conscious, adventurous, and value authentic experiences.
- Develop a content strategy: Plan a variety of content types that will resonate with your target audience, such as educational posts about sustainable tourism, behind-the-scenes looks at your tour operations, user-generated content from satisfied customers, and stunning visuals of rural destinations in Asia.
- Create visually appealing images and videos: High-quality visuals are crucial for capturing your audience's attention on Instagram. Use a mix of photos and videos that showcase the beauty of the rural locations, the unique experiences offered, and the eco-friendly aspects of your tours.
- Write engaging captions: Craft captions that tell a story, convey the value of your tours, and emphasize the sustainable aspects of your offerings. Include calls to action (CTAs) encouraging users to visit your website, book a tour, or engage with your content.
- Use relevant hashtags and keywords: Incorporate popular and niche hashtags related to your target audience's interests, as well as keywords that describe your tour offerings. Here are some examples:
Hashtags for Facebook and Instagram:
Keywords to use in social media posts and captions:
- Green travel
- Sustainable travel
- Rural Asia
- Cultural experiences
- Responsible tourism
- Authentic adventures
- Conservation efforts
- Community-based tourism
- Schedule your posts: If budget permits, use scheduling tools like Buffer or Hootsuite to plan your content and post at optimal times for your target audience. This may include posting during evenings and weekends when your audience is more likely to be online. If scheduling via and app is not appropriate, then be sure to post regularly. Mention the best times to visit, best times to book a tour, best times for discounts, best times for any activity. For example, if birding is included then mention start and end times and the importance of being in the right place at the right time.
- Engage with your audience: Respond to comments, questions, and direct messages to build relationships with your audience. Encourage them to share their experiences and feedback about your tours. You can discuss this with your clients post tour, or when clients make comments or ask questions, be sure to answer with accurate info in a friendly tone.
- Analyze performance: Regularly review your posts' performance using Facebook and Instagram insights. Assess engagement, reach, and conversion metrics to determine the effectiveness of your content and adjust your strategy accordingly.
Hashtags are Very Important
Hashtags are significant in social media marketing for several reasons. They serve as a tool to categorize, search, and engage with content on platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Here are some of the main benefits and functions of hashtags:
- Categorization and organization: Hashtags allow users and content creators to categorize their posts based on specific topics, themes, or interests. This helps to keep the content organized and easily discoverable by others interested in the same subject.
- Discoverability and searchability: Hashtags make it easier for users to find content related to their interests by using the search feature on social media platforms. When users search for a specific hashtag, they can see all the public posts that have used that hashtag, providing an efficient way to discover new content and accounts.
- Increased reach and visibility: By using popular or trending hashtags, content creators can increase the visibility of their posts to a broader audience. Users following or browsing these hashtags are more likely to come across the content, potentially increasing engagement, followers, and overall reach.
- Participate in conversations and trends: Hashtags allow users and brands to join ongoing conversations or trends on social media, making their content more relevant and timely. This can help in positioning the brand as part of a larger community or keeping up with current events, challenges, or viral topics.
- Create brand-specific hashtags: Businesses can create and promote unique hashtags for their brand, campaigns, or events. This encourages users to share their experiences with the brand using the specific hashtag, creating a collection of user-generated content and fostering a sense of community around the brand.
- Monitor and track performance: Hashtags can be used to track the performance of marketing campaigns or the popularity of specific content. Brands can monitor the use of their unique hashtags, evaluate the engagement of posts using certain hashtags, and identify popular hashtags within their industry or niche.
- Connect with target audiences: By using niche or industry-specific hashtags, brands can connect with their target audience more effectively. This helps in tailoring the content to the interests of the target audience and increasing the likelihood of engagement and conversions.
In summary, hashtags play a significant role in social media marketing by improving the categorization, discoverability, and visibility of content. They enable businesses to participate in relevant conversations, connect with their target audience, track campaign performance, and foster a sense of community around their brand.
By following this outline and incorporating the suggested hashtags and keywords, you can create compelling content for your target audience on Facebook and Instagram, ultimately attracting a younger crowd interested in sustainable rural tours in Asia.
See this video for info about personas.